Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Day 3 - MicroRNA Monday

Usually Mondays are the worst. But, not today!! It's SFN!!!



There were quite a few microRNA posters I attended today. In case you might not know what they are, here's a quick synopsis of what microRNA are --

microRNA (miRNA) are short strands of RNA that modulate protein expression. To give you an analogy if proteins are lights in a room, miRNA are the dimmer switch. They don't turn the light on or off, but they help ensure that the light isn't too bright, or too dim. 

Here were the highlights of today's events ---

Morning session

1. Minano-Molina (C45) - Found that miR-92-3p, miR-181c-5p, miR-210-3p modulation in Alzheimer's transgenic mice.

2. Edler (C20) - Abeta and tau pathology increases with age in chimpanzees. Studies in primates are becoming rare - for ethical reasons. This study was done with primate brains donated by zoos and research institutions.

3. Bicca (C20) - TRPA1 levels in AD mice are changed - possibly via a response to oxidative stress.

4. DeVito (Z26) - This was my favorite poster of the day. 142-3p involvement in a mouse model of Multiple Sclerosis. They found that 142-3p knockout mice show reduced symptoms associated with the mouse model of MS. The target for this miRNA was the mRNA coding for GLAST (glutamate aspartate transporter). They also found that anti-miR-132 - administered via an osmotic mini pump) help reduce symptoms in the MS mouse. I enjoyed that their group covered the miRNA work from basic, in vitro predictions, all the way to in vivo administration of the miRNA. 

Lunch -

None. Not happy about it. Still.

Afternoon session

I presented my poster all afternoon. It was D25 - microRNA298 -  a dual regulator of proteins involved in Alzheimer's Disease.

SFN Banter

Met some people I have been interacting with on twitter. Remembered that I am incredibly socially awkward in large groups. Also, very jealous of those people who are able to walk up to strangers and engage them in conversation. You know - extroverts.

What did you enjoy about your Monday at SFN?



4 comments:

  1. For those people who's relative are Alzheimer’s Disease sufferer and maybe reading this, I find it hard that people are still ignorant of herbal medicine when it comes to treating Alzheimer’s Disease.
    I have been through many phases over the last couple of years since my father's diagnosis, he was 53 years old and had Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease and his diagnosis changed my life in many ways, I spend most of the time in denial and I keep thinking the tests were wrong. But deep down I knew they were correct. Though sharing his story is very difficult. He was always very successful in being able to accomplish anything he set his mind on doing. Alzheimer’s is a bitch of a disease. It began by robbing his recent memory, but it didn't stop there. It continues to steal, taking the most recent memories until it has pilfered all but the oldest memories, he experienced a decline in his ability to think, remember and make decisions. I feel a need to express my thoughts and feelings about how it affected his day to day living and how its deteriorated since despite the help of some wonderful medics and medicine.
    I remind myself how lucky to come across Charanjit rychtova's herbal medicine which is able to control this disease without any side effect, I felt a moment of relief hoping that he is free from this ailment, and nothing compares to the healing power of nature. Now I believe almost every health problem can be addressed in one natural way or another. The only thing I wanted was for him to feel better. I’m proud to say my Dad is Alzheimer’s free. You can also contact him for more info. at charantova@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m Charles David by name, i want to use this medium to alert all loan seekers to be very careful because there are scam everywhere, Few months ago I was financially strained, and due to my desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. I had almost lost hope until a friend of mine referred me to a very reliable lender called Dr Purva Pius ( A God fearing man) who lend me a loan of $237,000 under 72 working hours without any stress. I explain to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because i will get my loan from this company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them i filled the loan application form and proceeded with all that was requested of me and to my shock I was given the loan, If you are in need of any kind of loan just contact him now via: {urgentloan22@gmail.com}

    I‘m using this medium to alert all loan seekers because of the hell I passed through in the hands of those fraudulent lenders.

    Thanks you Dr Purva Pius Loan service for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DOES HERBS WORK FOR DEMENTIA?

    This was the same question that prompted me to read further a testimony I saw on a blog. I would like to tell a story - hoping it will be useful to others - of my struggles and achievements with Dementia. I was diagnosed a little over 4 years ago, No doctors I met have any treatment or even suggestions apart western medications. I even sought advice on Youtube, to no avail. After using the conventional approach to medication treatment without improvement. I am glad something happens fast. There have been suicides due to people not being able to continue on living with the endless memory challenges. It is horrible. I learned about Dr. charanjit herbal medicine that works effectively for me without any negative effects. I have returned back to my normal life and I hope that the symptoms do not return again, It really helped me! If you have Dementia kindly contact Dr. Charanjit for help and necessary solution (charantova@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4.  I was initially very hesitant to discuss my Alzheimer but i just hope it can still help someone. I feel this will be very important information for all Alzheimer patients, because the most violent element in society today is ignorance. Be it any condition, a healthy diet and natural medicine is a road to fast recovery. I had suffered Alzheimer for many years, I fought for proper medical care and all form of humane treatment with little improvement I went through many sleepless nights and periods of intense grief, as do most families. I was recommended by a friend to use ZOMO herbs for my Alzheimer with high hope and assurance. I finally feel my illness is gone with no more symptoms. Doc email ID charantova@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete