Monday, November 23, 2015

Artificial turf and soccer

Before I start writing out whether or not playing soccer on artificial turf (AT) leads to injury, I have to admit that this was a real learning experience for me. For years, I've been convinced that playing on turf leads to higher chances for injury. So much so, that I repeated that on at least three radio shows last summer, during the women's World Cup.

But, that's why I love science. It proves me wrong all the time, and reminds me about how little I really know. It's humbling, wondrous and informative.

Just like my recent blog post on heading and youth soccer, I will be linking to the abstract of various articles. If you would like access to a particular paper in it's entirety, tweet me at @AlzBlog101 and I would be happy to send it to you.

1. What is Artificial Turf (AT)?

It's a playing surface used for sports such as field hockey, soccer, american football, etc. AT is made of synthetic fibers that look like grass. However, for countries where maintenance of natural grass is problematic due to non-ideal temperatures, AT has proven to be an alternative.



2. How did the idea that AT leads to increase in soccer injuries start?

While there were probably anecdotal reports, the first study that examined this issue was Arnason et al. (1996) . They found that the propensity for injury increased on AT vs natural grass.

3. Were the Arnason results replicated by other studies?

No. There have been many studies that suggest that there is no difference between injury risk of AT vs natural grass. These can be found here --- Ekstrand et al. (2006)Steffen et al. (2007)Fuller et al. (2007)Aoki et al. (2010)Bjorneboe et al. (2010)Kristenson et al. (2013) .

In essence, almost all studies suggest that the risk for injury does not increase for athletes playing on artificial turf. It's important to note that the studies cited above cover the gamut from NCAA soccer players to professional footballers - both male and female. So, there isn't a bias in terms of the level that the game is being played.

Here's something even more surprising. There have been studies that suggest that playing on artificial grass may be linked to LOWER injury rates than natural grass. Those can be found here --- Ekstrand et al. (2006)Soligard et al. (2012)Williams et al. (2013)Almutawa et al. (2014)Meyers (2013).

4. Okay, so playing soccer on AT is better than on natural grass?

Not so fast. You see, the articles cited above look at injuries as a whole. It's still possible that there are differences in particular injuries. A good analogy is that the articles above are looking at the injury issue at a whole-forest level. Whereas, in order to understand the risk for specific injuries, we have to go down to the tree-level.



5. Have there been studies that look at specific injuries in terms of artificial turf?

Yes.

6. What did they find?

The big one is that AT seems to be bad news bears for your ankle! Ekstrand et al. (2006)Steffen et al. (2007)Ekstrand et al. (2011) all found that playing on AT leads to an increase in ankle injuries in soccer players. For the sake of completion, it is important to note that Soligard et al. (2012) found the opposite - a reduction in ankle injury in soccer players playing on AT.

Hagglund et al. (2011) found that there was no difference between AT and natural grass surface for risk of patellar tendinitis (that's a fancy way of saying pain caused by inflammation in the knee).

Ekstrand et al. (2011) found that male soccer players were less likely to have a quad injury when playing on AT vs natural grass.

7. Woah! Getting too much. Summarize this for me.

Essentially, there is no increase in overall risk for injuries when playing on artificial turf vs natural grass; in fact, some studies suggest that it may be better overall than grass. However, there's general consensus that playing on AT may be a risk factor for ankle injuries, in particular. So, watch those ankles, friends!

8. So why does this myth about AT persist?

There are some general reasons - such as the naturalistic fallacy - where people believe that just because something is natural, it is automatically better than something synthetic or artificially manufactured.

Another reason is that we tend to extrapolate results from other sports into soccer. A perfect example of this is comparing football injuries to soccer. Both can be played on AT and therefore, when we see a study that suggests that injury X is increased in football, we assume incidence of injury X is also increased in soccer.

However, the sports are drastically difference and this assumption isn't necessarily true. For example, Balazs (2015) performed an examination of the literature, and found that playing on AT results in an increased risk for anterior-cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries in american football, but not soccer players. Therefore we should be careful to not over-interpret data seen in other sports played on AT.



So, lesson learned from my perspective - always fact-check everything. Especially things that I "know" are true.




13 comments:

  1. It a fabulous blog post As i looked at caused by have the application. Advise everything that Need be to find expectation on potential future you certainly will persist designed for writing a great wonderful blog post.
    Bellevue artificial grass installer

    ReplyDelete

  2. For those people who's relative are Alzheimer’s Disease sufferer and maybe reading this, I find it hard that people are still ignorant of herbal medicine when it comes to treating Alzheimer’s Disease.
    I have been through many phases over the last couple of years since my father's diagnosis, he was 53 years old and had Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease and his diagnosis changed my life in many ways, I spend most of the time in denial and I keep thinking the tests were wrong. But deep down I knew they were correct. Though sharing his story is very difficult. He was always very successful in being able to accomplish anything he set his mind on doing. Alzheimer’s is a bitch of a disease. It began by robbing his recent memory, but it didn't stop there. It continues to steal, taking the most recent memories until it has pilfered all but the oldest memories, he experienced a decline in his ability to think, remember and make decisions. I feel a need to express my thoughts and feelings about how it affected his day to day living and how its deteriorated since despite the help of some wonderful medics and medicine.
    I remind myself how lucky to come across Charanjit rychtova's herbal medicine which is able to control this disease without any side effect, I felt a moment of relief hoping that he is free from this ailment, and nothing compares to the healing power of nature. Now I believe almost every health problem can be addressed in one natural way or another. The only thing I wanted was for him to feel better. I’m proud to say my Dad is Alzheimer’s free. You can also contact him for more info. at charantova@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed by the quantity of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit again soon.
    Artificial Grass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful list of activities! thanks for sharing!
    Artificial Grass

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!!! There Very Nice And Impressive Blog. Its so Helpfull
    Please Visit our website for more details
    artificial football turf price in india

    ReplyDelete
  6. artificial turf is very very helpful for playing football.nice information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my own case it was just over four years ago when my Mum began to sound different on the phone. She lived back East with my siblings and my husband and I were living on the West coast and in phone calls it became apparent that my Mum's voice no longer had the same tones of excitement and humor that she used to; and instead it was very flat. At the same time she began to tell us about a situation at work that just didn't seem possible; she was complaining that a group of fellow workers were conspiring to get her. Although Mum had much academic success as a teenager, her behavior had become increasingly odd during the past years. She quit seeing her friends and no longer seemed to care about her appearance or social pursuits. She began wearing the same clothes each day and seldom bathed. She lived with several family members but rarely spoke to any of us. Obviously this whole story seemed very unbelievable and we sensed something was wrong but had no clue as to what it could be. We recommended that my Mum quit her job and look for something else - as we began to wonder if she had a "mental breakdown" and would get better once out of the stressful job situation.
    In the case of Mum, she was having persecurtory delusions, auditory hallucinations and negative symptoms that had lasted for at least Three years. All of these symptoms fit with a diagnosis of Dementia. Her story reflects a common case, in which a high-functioning young adult goes through a major decline in day-to-day skills. Although family and friends may feel this is a loss of the person they knew, the illness can be treated and a good outcome is possible as it all got better when we started using a herbal medicine for her through Aparajita.
    My recommendation to people who are either wondering if they have DEmentia or wondering if a friend or loved one has Dementia should contact aparajitatan@gmail.com. I think one of our key problems was that we didn't do this in the early days of my Mum's illness as we never thought of a natural alternative for her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To get the right kind of artificial grass makes a life much better for both you and your furry friend in numerous ways. Choosing the right quality of fake grass rug is the ideal choice for a home. That has playful happy kids or dogs.It applies to any weather, which means even if it is a rainy day - the synthetic Dragon Mart Artificial Grass remains as it is; all you have to do is give it a wash to get rid of the mud your playful brings along with itself.Contact Us:
    Call -00971-56-600-9626
    Email: sales@artificialgrassdubai.ae
    Free Appointment: - http://artificialgrassdubai.ae/request-quote-2/
    Our Website: http://artificialgrassdubai.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easy Grasse excels in the design, delivery and installation of artificial grass solutions for homes, schools, businesses and sport clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DOES HERBS WORK FOR DEMENTIA?

    This was the same question that prompted me to read further a testimony I saw on a blog. I would like to tell a story - hoping it will be useful to others - of my struggles and achievements with Dementia. I was diagnosed a little over 4 years ago, No doctors I met have any treatment or even suggestions apart western medications. I even sought advice on Youtube, to no avail. After using the conventional approach to medication treatment without improvement. I am glad something happens fast. There have been suicides due to people not being able to continue on living with the endless memory challenges. It is horrible. I learned about Dr. charanjit herbal medicine that works effectively for me without any negative effects. I have returned back to my normal life and I hope that the symptoms do not return again, It really helped me! If you have Dementia kindly contact Dr. Charanjit for help and necessary solution (charantova@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice post. Thanks for sharing such great information for me. I hope you will share some more information about Please keep sharing!

    أشجار اصطناعية

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for giving such nice and informational post to us. I didn’t know about these facts about AT. Get best artificial grass on Easy Grasse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete